Monday, July 2, 2007

Packing


Sorry I haven't been posting lately. I have be, oh, so busy getting ready for my big, annual, Idaho trip with the kids. It is quite a big deal in that I will be driving for 13 hours, with four kids, all by myself. I also have to pack up a family of 5 for 4 weeks including a camping trip. So, I'm sure you can imagine the cleaning, packing, organizing, and general craziness that is taking place in my life right now. Every time I tell someone about this trip they look at me like I am crazy (I don't deny that I am) and then ask me, "How on earth do you do it?" It all comes down to very detailed organization and my favorite quote for life: HOPE FOR THE BEST; PREPARE FOR THE WORST.

Tripping With Kids Tip #1

Pack by the bag. Of course you will have a bag for each kid with their clothes in it, but there is much more to kids than just clothes. I don't like rummaging through bags trying to find things that I know I've packed. So, I pack everything in it's own bag grouped according to use. Here is a small example.


Swimming bag:
sunscreen
swimsuits
swim shoes
towels
toys
plastic bags
quarters
Diapers and wipes


Church bag:
Sunday shoes (wrapped in a bag so they won't soil clothing)
Sunday clothes
underwear
stockings
socks
Hair things, brush
church bag (scriptures, paper pads, pens, church books, water bottle, bag of cereal, diaper, wipes)

Camping bag:
Warm PJs
old clothes
sunscreen
bug spray
Art kit
flashlights
hot dog sticks
Glow sticks
First Aid kit
diaper and wipes

Car Bag:
audio cassettes
books
Note books
colored pencils
pens and pencils
small toys (ones that I don't mind loosing)
Diapers and wipes
Map

Electric bag: Camera, video camera, extra tapes and cards, all power cords
Toilet bag: Don't forget feminine hygiene products even if you don't need them right now
Kid's toilet bag: Another bottle of sunscreen goes in here

And many other bags... Some of these bags will go in other bags. Many of the things in these bags will be in Ziploc bags (I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ziplocs). It is a long process getting it all packed this way, but it sure pays off when I need something in a hurry.

Come back tomorrow for Tip #2: Setting up the car for my one man show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great way to pack!! I think I sort of do that instinctively, but it would work out so much better if I did it on purpose. Thanks for the tip! Not that we're going anywhere with the kids this summer.

4 week, huh? You're brave.

LaughterThoughts said...

advice just in time for our full two-days drive across the country for our annual road trip with the kids... i somewhat do this, just not so well. i'll keep this in mind, though, for packing this time. then i can see just how much smoother the trip goes!! i'm sure it won't be quite so organized for the two-days drive back. the trip back is usually after a stuff-it-anywhere pack job!

Misty said...

I think we've been bit by the same organization bug!! I pack the same way!!! You have fantastic ideas!!