Convert: Con=with Vert=to turn Convert=a turning (or changing) in order to "go with"
Last night I was able to attend the adult Stake Conference meeting (if you're not LDS just think of it as church on Saturday night) and one of the speakers gave a great talk on converting to the Gospel of Christ. He mentioned 5 things that a person needs to be able to do in order to allow for a full conversion. I think that these points hold true no matter what you are converting to, whether it be a healthier life style, developing good habits, loving yourself, or any other major change that you want to make in your life.
1. KNOWLEDGE You need to educate yourself so that you know the hows and whys of your conversion.
2. UNDERSTANDING The knowledge is of little use if it doesn't make sense to you.
3. CONSCIOUS DECISION to fully convert, fulfill requirements, participate, and do what is required (Faith without works is dead)
4. SACRIFICE Any change you make in life will require sacrifices. you may have to sacrifice friends, locations, pride, ideas, personal comforts, etc.
5. FAITH IN THE OUTCOME You have to truly believe that steps 1-4 will be worth it in the end, even through the tough times. You must be able to endure to the end before you can obtain the prize.