Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Turkey Day

So, are you all done digesting the lovely bird that you stuffed before stuffing yourself? In October we took our little monkeys to a pumpkin farm in order to pick out perfectly over priced squashes and to look at some farm animals. This was the first time I've seen a turkey up close and I gotta say that they don't look anything like the cute little pine cone turkeys my kids made at co-op last week. This thing was freaky! Its skin looked like painful hemorrhoids or something out of the various horror films I'd watched as a teenager. I was disgusted, fascinated, mesmerised. I just couldn't help but stare.
Then, as I stared, I was even more appalled to find that the color on the Turkey's skin was changing color! Check it out. These are all pictures of the same turkey. Can you see the differences in the coloring? I don't know, it tasted pretty good on my plate, all covered in gravy and cranberry sauce, but I just couldn't get this flappy mug out of my mind the whole time I was eating.



7 comments:

Montserrat said...

Can you believe Ben Franklin wanted them as the National Bird? Actually having killed "fresh" turkeys several times over the years for our Thanksgiving feasts, you get used to it. Does that sound brutal? The same goes for the pigs we've slaughtered, the cows we've butchered. . . I'll stop now. I forgot you're pregnant and the stomach might not do too well. ;D

An Ordinary Mom said...

They are rather fascinating birds, but I am glad I didn't have this image in my head before I ate :) !!

Anonymous said...

I may never eat the skin off the roast turkey again.

I used to drive by all the turkey farms down in Sanpete County (UT) once a week. They weren't the big feathered ones like this though.

Unknown said...

He's blue! and he's ugly!

Sonja said...

You know, my parents have wild turkeys in the forrest around their home. They don't look much like these guys. I've heard that wild turkeys don't taste as good as farm raised ones. Maybe we just aren't used to their taste. Never the less...I'm glad I didn't have to butcher the one we ate. Hope you are feeling well...I've been think of you. :D

Family Adventure said...

Ewwwww...I'm not sure I liked seeing those pictures! Still, pretty interesting bird, there! I never knew!

Heidi

Misty said...

Ok........ EW!