Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dirty Chocolate

I don't like chocolate. I know, I know, how un-womanly of me. I can't explain it but straight chocolate tastes like dirt to me. I can occasionally enjoy a really good, smooth, Swiss chocolate or a small nibble of a flavorful extra dark chocolate but really I'd just rather have a bowl of ice cream. That said, one of my all time favorite gifts of the year is my custom box of Sees Candy Chocolates. The term chocolate is used lightly, though, as there is very little chocolate in my box. I'm telling you ladies, this is the best way to go. Because I custom pick each "chocolate" I am guaranteed a perfect piece every time. No more gagging over those nasty cherry and raisin chocolates. No boring old buttercreams that taste like goopy sugar cubes. And I have to say that Sees Candy is not only very reasonably priced, it is GOOD. I've been given many a fancy chocolate in my time (I think from people trying to convince me to like chocolate). I've had chocolates with gold leaf, chocolates with little edible flowers on them, chocolates that cost as much as a new pair of boots, and I've never enjoyed any of them as much as I enjoy this precious box of edible bliss. Here is some eyecandy for you to drool over:





Cashew Brittle












Almond Square













Key Lime Truffle








Lemon Truffle








California Brittle







P-Nut Crunch (Think Peanut Butter Cup for adults only)







Raspberry Cream








Raspberry Truffle






Vanilla Nut Caramel




Drooling yet? Want a custom box all your own? I'm going to be daring and try my first ever give-away. Here are the rules:

1. Write a post about your favorite food experience.
2. Put a link in that post to this post.
3. Leave me a comment or send me an email at (littlemissadvice at gmail dot com) with a link to your post.
4. Deadline is February 28.
5. On February 29 I will have Cookie pick her favorite post (So please keep it G-rated) and I will announce the winner on March 1st.
6. The winner will get a gift certificate to Sees Candy in the amount of $15.

P.S. I'm going to be out of town without internet for quite awhile so please don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't comment or respond to emails for a bit.

19 comments:

Family Adventure said...

That DOES look yummy, my dear. I totally get it :)

BUT...that does not mean you will not like Norwegian chocolate. I am using random.org to select the winner of my little giveaway, but I have to admit to wishing you might win...just so you can give it a try!!!

Have a lovely trip away. I will catch you later, as we are also gone for a few days.

Heidi

Maria said...

Ok, Ok, stop, STOP! I am drooling now! I'll have to try for this one.

Tama said...

Ooooo! Yummy! There is a real reason that most chocolate tastes like dirt. (My major in college was Geology) That's because it is made with a very ultra fine dirt (clay). Certain chocolate bars contain up to 75% of this clay. Hershey's is the one that is 75% clay. The clay makes the chocolate bars crisp which is why the less dirt there is in the candy the creamier and softer the chocolate is.

And now you know! Have a great trip, see ya when you get back!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I ALWAYS hand pick my own box, too, ad that is what I was nibbling on yesterday. Yes, I was eating all the ones you think are dirty and too sugary.

However, if anyone were ever to give us a box of prepacked candies to share, you could eat the half I think is gross and vice versa :) !!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I second the person who noted Scandinavian chocolate! Swedish chocolate is soooo good, although I haven't tried Norwegian.

I've learned that I'd much rather have one bite of a really good chocolate, than a whole bag of cheap chocolate.

Holly Homemaker said...

MMMmmm...I'm drooling. I'm not much of a fruit filling kind of gal, but I'll take anything with nuts, caramel, or chocolate.

P.S. I gave you an award on my blog...

Sonja said...

hummena hummena...that's what I'M talkin' about. :>

Wow, what a great idea! I'm going to try to do this, because you're dangling a really nice carrot here. But I'm really interested in reading what other people's experiences are too.

Hope you have fun on your trip!
ps, I loved your last post too. It was fun to see a picture of you and your DSSH. You are beautiful.

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

OMG! I grew up with See's Candies...and honestly, they are the BEST!

(I'm not going to enter though...my waistline will thank me later...)

Unknown said...

Not a chocolate person, either but I think that vanilla nut carmel looks divine. :-)

Have a FANTASTIC trip!

Annie said...

Dark chocolate with nuts, any kinda nuts. Of course, I don't buy chocolate, I just eat my honey's chocolates instead!

Mo said...

You are totally missing out if you skipped the Scotchmallows. Marshmallow, caramel and a light coating of chocolate. MMMMmmm, perfection. I'm so with you on the raspberries and the lemon too. And I don't like chocolate either! Thanks for not making me feel like a freak!

Erika said...

I don't like chocolate either!!! For me however, I can only stand it in the form of an oreo blizzard from dairy queen. How funny.
I'm going to send this link to my sister in law, she's a great story teller and also LOVES food/treats.
Great idea!

Misty said...

I love chocolate. I love this post. How about you just send me the prize any way? (wink)

Scribbit said...

Oh I was just thinking of writing such a post, I'll try and get it done by the deadline.

An Ordinary Mom said...

OK, I found an older post to submit. I will send you the link!

Unknown said...

I have wanted to write about a certain experience we had with a meal in Kazakhstan. This gave me a good excuse to get it done.

You can find the post at
http://bitterball.blogspot.com/2008/02/favorite-day-in-kazakhstan.html

Unknown said...

i don't think my link took... i will just email it to you i guess

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, how I love See's Nuts and Chews. Just love 'em.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog, and despite the incomprehensible not-loving-chocolate thing, I'm excited to read more about good food!

I wrote a post about loving on my pizza stone.

Thanks!

Jane