Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Do's and Don'ts

This post is made up of links and pictures so it won't make much sense when read from a reader.

DO make this delicious crockpot alfredo sauce. I added a 1/3 block of cream cheese and I threw in large uncooked shrimp and leftover roast chicken chunks 20 min before serving with the crock set to "low". This was roll-my-eyes-good! (oh, and I don't have Herbs De Provence so I just threw in garlic salt, sage, thyme, and basil).

DON'T make a double batch of these date nut bars when you think you are making these date nut bars. I wasted a bunch of perfectly good dates, pecans and calories (I kept eating them trying to convince myself that they weren't that bad. Finally tossed the second pan this morning)

DO make these adorable sheep cards with your children.

DON'T make them at your friend's really nice house with 8 small children because it takes a looong time to get so many hands clean and something is sure to get ruined or stained with black paint (or you will have an anxiety attack just anticipating such a disaster).
DO fill plastic tubes with various grains and beans so your kids can shake them and determine what size of grain/bean makes the loudest and quietest sound.

DON'T let your kids keep the rattles because they will eventually take the lids off and you will find wheat, rice, lentils, and kidney beans in odd places around the house.

DO make scrumptious chicken curry salad wraps. In whatever amounts look good to you, throw mayo, curry powder, cooked chicken, chopped celery, red onion, chopped cilantro, dried cranberries ( I like a LOT of these), cashews, ginger paste, and garlic salt into a bowl and stir. Serve on a toasted tortilla (or pita bread) with thick slices of tomato. Oh Yeah, Baby!

DON'T even try to get your kids to eat it. Make them some quick tortilla pizzas instead. To make a good tortilla pizza crust top one tortilla with a light layer of shredded parmesean or mozzerella cheese, spray with butter flavored cooking spray, top with another tortilla and top that like you would a regular pizza. Bake on cookie sheet at 400 till cheese is melted and crust is crisp.

DO marry a man who enables and supports your addictions by running around town looking for just the right ice cream, and lots of it. (Thank you, DSSH. I'm so enjoying the ice cream abundance today!)



Edited to add:

DO be adventurous and buy a very cool 3D puzzle of the Sistine chapel for only $1.00 at a thrift store.

DO finally tell yourself that a puzzle is worth your valuable time and don't feel guilty about making the kids eat at the counter while you hog the dining table.

DON'T worry about the 2 missing pieces that don't show when it's all put together and don't worry that there are some extra pieces that don't seem to go anywhere. Just enjoy the beauty of the thing.

21 comments:

Amber M. said...

What a fun post!! I made those sheepy cards with my baby this week...I've never seen anything cuter. What a sweet husband you have!! Enjoy your ice cream...you deserve it.

Annie said...

The curry chicken wraps sound amazing, but how much curry, ginger, etc.?? Would it be fine to simply eat it like a salad? without added carbs? Uggh...I know! Too many questions!

Jennifer said...

You are a funny gal!

I'm enjoying reading your posts.

Those wraps look great.

Anonymous said...

That's a funny list!

Thanks for the idea about tortilla pizzas, just one would be so floppy! My kids love tortillas!

Amy Y said...

The chicken curry wraps do look excellent! I might have to try them before I go veg :)

Ice Cream said...

Mrs. Annie,
I really wish I had amounts to give but I seriously just toss things in till it tastes heavenly. I use a lot of curry (maybe 2-3 Tblsp and maybe 1/4 tsp ginger paste). And I ate it with a spoon for lunch yesterday and it is so yummy so no tortilla needed.

Amy Y, you can even do this veg style by using fresh and uncooked sliced mushrooms and chopped zucchini instead of the chicken.

Ally said...

Excellent do's and don'ts!

I love the idea for the tortilla pizza.

I bought some of those new fandangled wraps (tomato/basil and also spinach) for my lunches, to have with some avocado and tomato and lettuce, etc. I thought I'd be able to enjoy them, but all the children LOVE them too! In a way, I'm kinda glad they like them, so we don't have to eat crackers all day.

But still,.... this was my 'mom treat.' :S

Thanks for sharing! ;)

An Ordinary Mom said...

I DO love being married to a man who enables me and supports me ... especially through pregnancy craziness :) !!

Melissa said...

ohhh I love chicken wraps. We always make them in our family. We will just buy some Tyson Chicken, honey mustard, cheese, and lettuce. Put it all together and yum! Thanks for a new wrap idea!

L said...

Great post! I've never tried a 3D puzzle. Actually I just started doing puzzles again after years of not doing them.

jennwa said...

Great post!! Very funny.
I am sorry for the mess of the sheep but thanks for the Linky love.
Your husband sounds wonderful.

Richelle said...

Those look like great things to do (and not). I like the scripture reference. :) And that looks like an awesome puzzle!

Stephanie ODea said...

bwhahaha! what a funny post!
those chicken wraps are making me hungry all over again.
-steph

Sea Star said...

I would love to join you and that stash of Ice cream. YUM!

Anonymous said...

The sheep cards are great, as was your reason for not letting the kids keep the home-made rattles. I let mine keep one with rice in it once...

Family Adventure said...

LOVED the puzzle....and the ice cream. Yum. Your husband is the bestest :)

Heidi

kay said...

i DO so love to read your blog!! loving the cards. i'm all over those!

i DON'T love the fact that you do way more stuff than me and STILL have time to blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Great puzzle! We have the 3D Manhattan puzzle--0ver 3100 pieces, which D dumped all over my floor one morning. A keeps asking when we can do it. I say we need a bigger house. I think I'd rather have the Sistine Chapel.

Tanja said...

Came here via FoxFamilyFun... mainly drawn by the alluring picture of ice cream. I, too, am an addict. Truly. I have to make myself NOT buy it, because once I have it, all control is thrown out the window. Just read a few of your posts. Love the one about public/homeschooling. We've done both as well, and I've gotten bad comments from both camps. My plan is to go off of what's best for each of my kids and what's going on with them each year. A case-by-case approach. Good post!

Sonja said...

Fantastic list of do's and don'ts! My mouth is watering (I love lots of cranberries in things too--and shimp and alfredo). Also, as I type this I am eating your current ice cream recommendation. YUM! Who knew sesame and ginger would taste so good in ice cream? AND the puzzle is SUPER! Good for you! :)

Anonymous said...

A most excellent list! And I have to say, the peach cobbler Ben & Jerry's sounds FAN-TAB-U-LOUS!!