Monday, May 12, 2008

Picture This

WARNING: To all my friends at church, one of the dangers of being friends with me is that you might accidentally end up with your picture on my blog. If you don't want it on here, just let me know and I will take it down. (Better to ask forgiveness than permission, right?)

Here are pictures of some of the things I did this weekend.

BABY SHOWER

Ok, when I was first asked to help with a baby shower I said, "Sure, as long as you only ask me to do the food." You see, I don't really do baby showers. I don't throw them, I don't go to them, I don't want one for me... nothing against them, I'm just not big on them. So, it was agreed that I would just do food. In the end, though, I was in charge of anything but the food. I panicked, I procrastinated, and then I stayed up till 3am and woke up at 6:30am Saturday morning putting all this stuff together. It turned out just fine in the end and I'm so glad it did. But I still don't do baby showers. Here is what we did (In the end I was glad I didn't do the food because the ladies that did did a fantastic job):
*
I made a Well Wishes Quilt that all the guests got to sign and write a little message on for the new baby (who is darling, by the way).

As people came into the room I put a sticker on their back that had an item on it having to do with pregnancy or babies. People could only ask yes or no questions to figure out what their sticker said and the winner got a prize. Knowing that we are all experienced mommies, I tried to make them difficult. Here are some of the words:
Baby Puke, Caster Oil, Pediatrician, Pregnancy Test, Breast Pump, Circumcision, Poopy Diaper (Poop was kind of my theme), etc.
The women seemed to have a lot of fun figuring these out, and we had to remind everyone to take the stickers off. Can you imagine going to the store with "Breast Pump" on your back? =)
*
This next one is actually the first baby shower "game" I ever played. I think I was 9 years old. I made little felt diapers, painted 3 with brown craft paint in the bottom, and filled with M&Ms or cashews. If you got a "poopie" one you got a prize. People seemed to really like this.

This is an oldie but I gave it my special touch. You are supposed to guess what the "poop" is in the diapers, and the person to get the most right gets a prize. Some people do this with melted candy bars, some do it with baby food, I did it using food combinations from my kitchen, and the results were fantastically real. It was so much fun watching everyone sniffing, handling, and talking about these dirty diapers. In the diapers there were:
1. Chocolate pudding and corn kernels
2. Sweet and sour sauce
3. Whole grain deli mustard
4. Hoisin sauce
5. Peanut butter mixed with canned peas
6. Molasses
7. Canned pumpkin and crayon shavings


Then, while the mom opened her gifts we gave all the women a small plate and some play dough. They sculpted their best baby and which ever baby the mom picked as her favorite won a prize. Mine is #7
COMING HOME
DSSH was a dear and had the kids doing their chores when I got home. But no one knew where Sweet Terror was. Hmmm...
MOTHER'S DAY
This is what DSSH let me wake up to. Mmmmmm. I LOVE LOVE LOVE strawberries smothered in Nutella.
I have to hide it from the kids if I want to get any, though. Sorry, Sweet Terror, but this is MY Mother's Day treat. =)

We did many other things this last weekend but I am much too exhausted to write about them. In fact, I've been providing my husband with lots of entertainment as a Narcoleptic, falling asleep in the oddest situations. But it was a busy, fun, and very enjoyable weekend.

How was your weekend?

24 comments:

CC said...

Wow. You did awesome!! Great job!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You did such a great job! Especially for someone who isn't a fan of baby showers - LOL! I LOVE the quilt -- it's stunning!

Charlotte said...

You are so creative! Nice Job!! Plus it was really fun seeing the old ward:) Hi Tammy! Hi Lisa!! Out of curiousity, who was the shower for? Anyone I know?

Unknown said...

What a cool (and sorta gross) baby shower. You did an awesome job planning and pulling that off.

Kim @ TheBitterBall

Tama said...

The picture of Sweet Terror sleeping under the chair is so funny! She must have thought it looked like a nice cozy place to take a nap. So cute!

Lucy van Pelt said...

PB with peas? You have gotten to new heights of grossnes. You rock! Your baby blanket is fantastic. That is such a great idea!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I don't even know how you are keeping up with life right now with all that you have going on?!? You better relax on your big day on Thursday!

Love the classic pictures of Sweet Terror sleeping under the chair!

Awesome Mom said...

I hate hate hate that baby poop game. I just see it too much in real life to play with it for pretend. It sounds like everyone had a fun time.

Unknown said...

LOVE the last shot and that sounds like one of the few showers I would actually like to attend. Especially for the strawberries and Nutella.....

Annie said...

I don't do baby showers either, but you've given me such great ideas here!

Strawberries and Nutella? Who knew???!!!

Anonymous said...

cool shower ideas! I especially like the mom-icized versions of the "kick me" stickers. Breast pump...tee hee hee.

Leslie said...

Awesome job on the baby shower. Very clever. I loved the picture of Sweet Terror asleep under the chair...so funny. Hope your Mom's day was wonderful!

SassyMom said...

Nice job on the baby shower! I've never had Nutella....is it a "health" food? your pic made me want to go get some strawberries today! mmmmmmmm

Ice Cream said...

SassyMom,
I'm sure that in small amounts Nutella has health benefits, but the way I eat it it might as well be frosting.

It is a hazelnut chocolate spread that has the consistency of peanut butter. It is one of the world's best ways to eat chocolate (in my non choclate loving opinion)

Richelle said...

That's some interesting games. Those diapers sound like they would look way to realistic. Chocolate pudding and corn? Whole grain deli mustard? Gross.
Sounds like you had fun, though. If they don't like "poopy" games I guess they won't ask you to do a shower again.:)
The blanket is a cute idea.
Nutella is yummy!

Packer Family said...

I had a ton of fun at the shower! You guys did a great job!

kay said...

those diapers look adorable and totally gross at the same time!! great idea!!


mmmmm nutella.....

Becky Frame said...

I love the pics of your daughter sleeping under the furniture. That is adorable!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

The best wishes quilt is a great idea...I haven't seen that before.

And I love the picture of Terror under the chair! She's a doll :)

Amy Y said...

How fun! You did a great job! I think any excuse for a party is a good one, but I suck at planning them...

Happy belated Mother's Day! Hope you enjoyed the strawberries and nutella ~ yum! :)

just jamie said...

Way to go on the baby shower. You *made* that quilt? Are you super woman or what? And Sweet Terror, my goodness, I'm glad no one sat on you.

Ally said...

Nice job on the party! You're amazing, seriously. I have no gumption for throwing parties like that - maybe I just don't consider myself creative enough. Or maybe I'm just lazy!

It looks like it was a fantastic time! Way better than some of the baby showers I've attended in the past(ahem).

Good job! ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the owner of this blog. Ive enjoyed reading this topic.

Unknown said...

i love your baby shower ideas! i will definitely be stealing them :)