Tuesday, May 20, 2008

'Tiss The Season

Last night, after putting the kids to bed, I ran out the door to return some movies and to redeem my Baskin Robbins free birthday scoop coupon. I was so excited to see that they had Baseball Nut in their cases. Baseball Nut: "A summer favorite since 1961, this homerun combines Vanilla ice cream, loaded with cashews and a black raspberry ribbon."

Several months ago I ran to BR for this very flavor in an intense pregnancy craving moment (Remember how I couldn't eat ice cream for awhile there? This was the first day that baby was going to let me eat it again) only to learn that it is a seasonal flavor. This ticked me off. It isn't as if people's tongues change with the seasons. If I like Baseball nut in June, I like it just as much in January. But who am I to fight against the machine? So I waited. And the waiting paid off. Not only did they have the flavor but they had just opened a fresh new tub of it (and there wasn't a pile of nasty old ice cream from the tub before sitting on the top waiting to go in my cone).

I threw my coupon on the counter, grabbed my cone with a hurried, "Thank you!" and ran to the car. And I did something I don't think I've really ever done. I sat in my parked car and ate while listening to the radio... all by myself. I didn't care if people saw me eating, or wondered why I was just sitting there with a goofy smile as I licked my coldness. I just sat and enjoyed a small moment of quite, tasty bliss. Ahhhhhh, it was good. =)

Happy Baseball Nut season, everyone.


Oh, and the winner has been picked for Scribbit's monthly Writeaway contest (for which I was the judge this month). If you need some fun reading, go check out the great stories all written on the theme of "shoes."

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does sound yumalicious and TOTALLY something I would do. I've sat in my car for peace and quiet and radio time on many occasions, even in my own driveway. The neighbors stare and I don't care. :) Hope you had a fabulous birthday!!!

Amy Y said...

Seasonal selections suck! I definitely agree with that... With the one exception of peppermint anything. That only sounds good during the holidays. But perhaps I'm alone in that?

Ice Cream said...

Amy,
I actually agree (though I do crave peppermint in the middle of summer sometimes) with the holiday flavors being seasonal. It amkes them more special. But peppermint, pumpkin, gingersnap, and pumpkin belong to the holidays. What on earth makes cashews and black raspberry a baseball season thing?

Jeanette said...

First off, I read the winning entry from the writing contest. I thought it was great.
Secondly, My favorite thing about Autumn? Getting everything pumpkin flavored. Everything!
I am glad you were able to get your ice cream and eat by yourself in the car. That most have been heavenly. :-)

Prudy said...

I just bought some with my sister last week. It's so yummy-I just wish they had triple the cashews! I'm going to make some at home this summer for just that reason.

Amber M. said...

Bliss, indeed.

How about Girl Scout cookies?? I'd sell my firstborn for GS cookies in October.

kay said...

yummmy!! i love cashews and they just don't use them enough in ice cream! and the raspberries make it good for you right? right? good i'm headed out to get some now! :)

Becky Frame said...

Yay for Baseball Nut season! Happy Baseball Nut season to you too!!

Annie said...

Quiet moments in the car are rarely more enjoyable than when they include ice cream.

Laura's Linoleum said...

I'm such an idiot for not redeeming my BR birthday cone. Sounds like I need to do that one of these nights, even though it may not be free.

Unknown said...

Eating ice cream alone? I was there just last night. And enjoyed every high-carb moment of it. :-)

just jamie said...

Mmmm... stomach growling now ....

Tama said...

That is so not fair! That is my most favorite ice-cream in the world and Baskin Robins left our town 8 years ago. So I haven't even seen a scoop of Baseball Nut since then! I can almost taste it though just looking at your picture of it. MMMMMMmmmmmmm.

Richelle said...

Yum! That sounds good. We don't have a baskin robbins here. We get our free birthday ice cream from cold stone, though.

Good job on the writing contest. The winning one was great. I bet that was quite the job.

CC said...

Super fun! We usually remember to get our free birthday cones.... :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Creative-Type Dad said...

isn't eating ice cream alone similar to drinking alone..?

Now I'm craving ice cream

Kathy G said...

If you can believe it, we don't have a Baskin Robbins anywhere near us!

If we did, I would totally go for Baseball Nut.