Tuesday, June 3, 2008

WARNING! DANGER!


DO NOT BUY OR ALLOW ANYONE ELSE TO BUY YOU THIS APPLIANCE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES... unless you want to die a very happy death from fried food overdose.

Last Christmas our very dear friends, the "Eds," bought me a brand new Waring Pro Professional Fryer. My first thought when I opened it was, "Aw, crud! There go any hopes of loosing weight after New Year's Day." I refused to even open the box and quickly tucked it away out of sight so as to not even be tempted to tempura. And I was good. I resisted for 5 long months. Until....

I totally blame this one on the baby. Baby HAD to have egg rolls, and lots of them. I tried to convince baby that some nicely steamed broccoli, or some fresh zucchini sticks would be better for it. Baby promptly kicked me in a rather sensitive area and I finally gave in to his demands. Oh, sweet, heavenly, crispy delicious egg rolls. Mmmmmmm. I figured this would finally give me a reason to pull out the Christmas machine.
(These are actually the egg rolls I made with my family in Idaho last summer, but they are the same thing I made Sunday night.)

Oh, the goodness of homemade egg rolls, dripping in tangy pineapple sweet and sour sauce can never be duplicated in any restaurant. And don't forget the side of garlic cream cheese wontons. Oh baby!

The fryer worked like a dream come true. I hate frying foods because I always burn myself multiple times. And it is a pain having to stand over the hot pot, monitoring the food, getting oil splatters all over everything. But with the Waring Pro Fryer I was able to wrap and fry all the egg rolls by myself, in record time, without a single burn and almost zero oil splatters on anything. LOVE IT!

But here comes the very very bad part. Egg rolls and wontons were made and eaten. And then there is this big vat of oil sitting on my counter. I can either:

A) Filter the oil for storage and further use and then spend the rest of the day cleaning, drying, and storing the appliance for future heart attacks. Or,

B) Get as much use out if it as I can before going through with option A. Meaning Mr. Hotness goes to the store and buys lots of fryable things and we eat like there will be no tomorrow, no scales, no tight fitting pants, no acne, no regrets.

I'm just going to let you all guess what we ended up doing.

(And I will try to get a recipe for the egg rolls up by tomorrow in case you don't care about zucchini sticks either)

25 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

I actually like Fried Zucchini - you can get the best of both worlds that way :) !!

Jeanette said...

Now I want some fried wantons. Thanks! :-)

Suburban Correspondent said...

Must. Not. Succumb. To. Temptation.

Charlotte said...

Hilarious!! Your egg rolls look SO delish. Love it when baby demands things:)

just jamie said...

Good grief, I'm starving just looking at that thing.

I had fried green beans the other night at a restaurant -- delish!

CC said...

Oh, have you ever had cream cheese wontons??? YUMMY! Your fryer would make them delish!

Amy Y said...

My husband was just telling me the other day that we "need" to get a fryer. I think I will show him this post, followed by a close up of my growing behind and see if he still wants to.

Those eggrolls look so good though!!

Angela said...

I have always wanted one but I know my weak inner soul. I would be frying up everything!

Laura's Linoleum said...

That's why I like buying the $1 eggrolls from King Wong's down the road. That way, I don't remember that they're fried, and I don't have leftovers. But if it were me, I'd definitely do option #2.... and throw in some homemade doughnuts, perhaps some fried sweet potatoes, and oh yeahhhh... Tempura City!!! Mushrooms, Broccoli, you NAME IT! Thank goodness for small kitchens that just don't have room for all those fun appliances!

Michal said...

my husband got one of these for christmas a couple of years ago. we only pull it out a few times a year, but when we do, we go with option b and just fry everything for a couple of days. i was actually just thinking about possibly pulling it out for fathers' day, since he would love some onion rings with his ribs. and then i can make tempura the next day. and now i need your egg roll recipe. i've never made them at home before, but i'd love to.
at least all your pants are stretchy on top right now. :)

Awesome Mom said...

It sounds yummy and very greasy. I say have fun with it for awhile and then hide it deep in your garage.

Jana said...

I totally want one of those. Your deep fryer makes mine look like an icebucket from 1980. Which it pretty much is. Congrats on the upcoming arrival, by the way.

Erika said...

Ha ha ha. My mother in law gave us one for Christmas about 4 years ago and it is pulled out every year on New Years & again for the Super Bowl...then (of course) option B happens and it ends up on my counter for AT LEAST 3 weeks before I beg/threaten/plead for him to put it away. Enjoy!

Lara said...

Use coconut oil and then everything you fry in it will official be health food.

Don't forget about fried mushrooms, fry bread and scones. Now I need to make some apple donut holes. Dang you! And I don't have a fancy deep fryer either!

Shannon said...

Fried egg rolls and wantons sound so yummy! I don't own a deep fryer, but my mom and step dad make incredible breaded hot wings in theirs. I'm looking forward to your recipes. Thanks for getting some cravings going ( :

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the egg rolls recipe!

Annie said...

Now we are alllll hungry. Please do post that recipe! We can't wait to die, um, eat some!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Oh my glory...how sinful! I don't think I could have one of those in my house.

Unknown said...

doing Weight watchers now so I wont be purchasing that but home made eggrolls sound so yummy

Unknown said...

Hmmmm....egg rolls. And THAT is why I will never allow a deep fryer in my home. Yummmmmmm!

Richelle said...

Yum, fried food. That is exactly why I gained weight on my mission, despite all the walking I did. They fry up everything is Scotland. I had a double cheese burger, battered and fried. They fry pizza. You name it. The yummiest, bestest, most fattening fried food ever though, is fried candy bars. Take a snickers bar, dip in some batter, and fry it. Sounds weird, but it is so good. It's like a donut with chocolate, caramel, and peanuts inside. We actually tried it once with some mini candy bars. The chocolate wasn't quite as good, but they were still great. You definitely don't want to be on a diet when you try them, though. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL - yeah, those things definitely need to come with warning labels :D Looks like a fabulous one!

Sonja said...

You ROCK! And so do egg rolls and other such friedness. :)

daysease said...

all i can say is "yum" on both accounts...

Anonymous said...

oooohhh--that is once fancy machine! WAY better than the dinky old frydaddy I use!