Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Thanks a Lot Gary

Anytime someone tries to get you to try "the real thing" you really should just run for your cheap and easy ever lovin' life. Like when someone wants you to try real Swiss chocolate over the regular Hershey's bar you've been eating all your life. Or when you are offered real shaved parmesan cheese over the Kraft powder in a can stuff. Or when the really good ice cream goes on sale and you think you should just try it to see if it tastes any better. DON'T DO IT!!! RUN!!! Because once you try "the real thing" you will never be as happy with the cheap and easy and that will make life difficult and expensive.


So, when you go to the pumpkin farm and Gary, the pumpkin cannon guy, does this brain washing routine where he spouts off the virtues of "real" pumpkin pie in between cannon blasts, and he practically dares you to make "real " pumpkin pie because if you don't then you haven't had "real" pumpkin pie ... Well, when that happens do yourself a favor, stick your fingers in your ears while singing, "lalalalala I can't heeeear you lalalala," and then run home and make yourself some pumpkin pie from a can. Trust me. Because pumpkin pie from a can is yummy, it won't take a whole day to make, it won't make a terrific mess of your kitchen, and you won't have to know any better. As for me?
Well, I made the mistake of taking Gary up on his "real thing" dare and now, while canned pumpkin pie is still fine for regular fare, I don't know that I'm ever going to be able to consider my pumpkin pie as The Best unless it's made from the "real thing." *sigh* It just tastes so very much like a pumpkin pie should. *sigh* But I really like being cheap and easy. *sigh* But how can I ever go back knowing I'd be missing out on that bright orange color, the light creamy flesh, that perfect taste and consistency?


Thanks a lot Gary!

17 comments:

cindy kay said...

*sound track of me laughing*--because I know EXACTLY what you mean!

tutietutu said...

Yum! Pumpkin pie is my favorite! You just made me soso hungry!
Check out my new blog if you like. I am having a giveaway this week! lolatutu.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh great--now I am going to start making it from fresh pumpkins, too, and get caught in yet another "do it the hard way" addiction, too! :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Flour tortillas, spaghetti sauce, egg rolls, bread, alfredo sauce...I'm with you. It is so hard to go back. Though with the tortillas I had to because of pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel...I still haven't gone back to the good stuff! LOL

Too funny!

Tama said...

I can totally relate! After a well meaning friend, in high school, had me try Hagendaz (spelling?) ice cream the other ice cream is not longer as good--it's just "ok". And "homemade" pumpkin pie? MMMMMMMMMmmmmmm, my kids are already spoiled on that one.

Anonymous said...

Luckily I neither care for the joy of making a "real deal" pie outside of my strawberry rhubarb, or have the time. So I can't pollute my family. Beisdes I would be the only one eating it since noone in my family cares to eat it yet.

Sea Star said...

It is a lot of work but the taste is so perfect when you make if from the real thing. I totally understand the you don't know what your missing until to try it. I have gotten myself into a lot more work by making something for scratch. But it is often cheepr and tastes better. If it just wasn't so time consuming! then it would PURRFECT!

Montserrat said...

Which just goes to show why women in the olden days were skinnier than nowadays. They really had to work for their food!

An Ordinary Mom said...

So very true!

And since I am too lazy to make said pie, I best get in my car and come help you eat yours :) !!

Lisa Merkley said...

I've got a pumpkin sitting on my table (as a centerpiece, of course) waiting for me to have the time to make one from scratch. It will get done this year. It will get done this year. It will get done this year. It will get done this year.........

Hope said...

Yes, I too have done this before. Yes, it is yummy. Yes, it is a brighter shade of orange. But, I don't like pumpkin pie enough to do this all the time. I did it once, and now I buy Libby's canned pumpkin instead of the cheaper stuff. Because I don't want to spend all day making pumpkin pie.

Rachel said...

I know what you mean!

Not that it takes much WORK from me, but since I discovered "real" tiramisu... anything else from anywhere else just isn't the same.
And I'm not even a connoisseur (yes, I had to use my spellcheck).

By the way... tagged you for an award on today's last post :)

http://tris-adventures.blogspot.com/2008/11/wowza.html

Stephanie said...

What kind of overachiever are you?! Great, I used to feel proud if I even made a pie at all. I'd have to be translated if I made one from scratch, and not even for Thanksgiving Day. Sigh. :)

Michal said...

i have been resisting trying this very thing for three years now. every time i am tempted, i cringe at the knowledge that i may never be able to go back, being a food snob and all. i am so torn between trying something so delectable and discovering what i have been missing for all these years.

Monica said...

Great advice. I like cheap and easy. Making the real deal is very messy, I know. Won't be doing that again.

Annie said...

I've been making pumpkin pie from "real" pumpkin for years. I bake or steam (in the microwave) the pumpkin then freeze it for later use. I just couldn't see throwing away all that perfectly good pumpkin! LOL!

Unknown said...

oh amen! I completely agree...I've never liked pumpkin pie but I bet I'd love the "real" stuff!!!