Sunday, May 24, 2009

Letters and Piano

Dear Me,


Why do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee for thy thick skin that shrugs off offenses, and for the easy way you forgive others in the hope that you will likewise be forgiven. I love your willingness to laugh and smile even when life tries to get you down, everything is easier when faced with good humor. I love that you are, slowly but surely, finally learning not to sweat the small stuff. Life is too precious to waste it on silly annoyances. I love that you apologize to your children when you are wrong, no matter how often you mess up. I love the way you treat your husband. He is a good man and deserves to feel completely loved every day. I love that you forgive yourself for being human. I love that you know how to throw yourself a really good pity party and then pick up the pieces and carry on with your duties. I love that you eat ice cream with abandon. I love that you allow others to see your faults so they can hopefully feel better about their own. You are a beautiful woman in your own right and I love that you choose to feel beautiful when in the arms of your husband. I love that you won't take trash from those who try to make you feel bad. I love that you enjoy odd things and find meaning in the bizarre, it makes for interesting ponderings. Thank you for not giving up when things got tough, because they are bound to get tough again and each time you stick with it you emerge stronger and more enlightened. It has been a crazy 31 years and I hope it will only get crazier as we go through it together. I love you, Lizzy, you are my kind of gal.


Love, Me



This was definitely one of my favorite goals. I wrote love letters to everyone in my family and finally to myself. The best part was knowing that my children now know how I feel about them. I love them so very much, but too often my day is spent reprimanding them and being frustrated with them. I need to work on that a little more. It is hard with a baby, but I'm still working on it.

I highly recommend you all try this one, especially the love letter to yourself. I did my best not to simply write things I knew others liked about me but to really dig deep into what it is that I love about myself. I think I need to read this letter at least once a week to remind me not to be so hard on myself.

This next week I need to tackle something that I should have been doing for sometime now. This week I will practice piano with Pablo everyday for 10 minutes. He has a lovely piano teacher (thanks for everything, Sara!) who has been so forgiving to me even though it is so obvious when I haven't had Pablo practice, at all. But it really isn't fair to her or him so I'm going to finally put forth some effort there. I also want to use this week to finally send out some very belated packages that are taking up way too much space in my kitchen.

What are you working on this week?



7 comments:

debbie said...

I'm learning alot from you. Sounds like some of what I am going through. Been trying to find my changed self by writing good things about me in my journal. Thanks for being you and teaching me to smile.

Unknown said...

Love the idea of writing a love letter to oneself. Might have to give it a try soon. I could use a little love. :)

I am back on the For Just One Week band wagon. this week I am not drinking any soda.

Mia said...

That was a beautiful letter. I love this "one week" and will follow your lead.

Donya said...

Your letter was brilliant. I am in awe of your constant effort to be better in so many ways. Definitely an inspiration to the rest of us.

LoraBelieves said...

Inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Ally said...

What a great letter! ;-)

Writing letters was a goal I wanted to do for this Just One Week program. I decided that for the past two months, though, I would scrap everything else and try not to drive myself crazy about being stiffed with a $2,000 vacuum cleaner.

When that was all cleared up, I would try to do something sane again. ;-)

Letter writing is definitely on my list!

Michal said...

what a great letter. sometimes it is hard to find things that we love about ourselves or admit them without worrying that we're bragging. i love how frank you are about your strengths and weaknesses. thanks for letting me learn so much from you.

i really need to do this love letter thing. i loved the idea when i read about it last week, then promptly forgot to do it myself.