Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cookie in a Nutshell

At my kids' middle school, every year I am asked to write a paper about my child for the teachers to better know them. This is the one I wrote for Cookie this year. (Mind you these are always written last minute because my homework skills are the same as they were when I was in school.)


Cookie is a very special person. I’m sure all parents feel that way about their child (as they should), but if you get to know Cookie I think you will see what I mean. She is the oldest of 5 kids, she is my first baby, she is a miniature me (only better than I could ever hope to be). Cookie was born older and more mature than some adults I know. She was smart from the very beginning, speaking early, reading early, and she has a memory that never fails to surprise me. But the extra something special about Cookie is her innate desire to do what she thinks is right. Whether it is being kind to someone who needs a friend, standing up for others, obeying her elders, getting her homework done, or just having fun, she always tries her best to do it “right.” When she was very little I was constantly having to tell her, “Mistakes are good,” because she would get very upset if she couldn’t make her letters just right, or if she colored out of the lines. She’s a lot more relaxed now, but still does her best to do what is important to her.

Cookie has set very high standards for herself and refuses to just “go with the flow” if the “flow” goes against those standards. This year she has chosen not to read one of the summer books assigned because it has a lot of bad language in it, but she is willing to read any other book in order to make up for it. Even getting good grades isn’t as important to her as sticking to what she feels is right. I hope, as you get to know her, you can see this side of her.

As for her personality, it depends on what side of the coin you see. On one hand, Cookie can be very shy, introverted and quiet. If she doesn’t feel a connection to kids around her she will tend to keep to herself. But if you see her with friends she feels comfortable with you will see the exact opposite. Cookie loves anything that is extremely silly. She loves to laugh and be goofy, she loves to tease and can dish it out as well as take it (if it isn’t mean teasing).

After 2 major moves Cookie was having a hard time feeling like she fit in at school last year. This year she has some friends and I think she is coming out of her shell again and showing a lot more of her true self.


(Tomorrow I will share the one I wrote for Pablo)

1 comment:

Steph said...

Your kids are getting old. How can Pablo be going to middle school already? Cookie is absolutely beautiful.