Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Greatest Baby Invention EVER!!!

Ok, the votes are in and apparently more people want to hear about The Ultimate, Greatest Baby Invention Ever That Makes Me Smile Every Day and Why Americans Are the Last to Use It. I do think it funny that right behind baby gear you are all so interested in my new drug dealer (and you should be, because he is going to let me share).

So, what is this phenomenal baby invention? Aren't you just dying to know? It has been proven (in studies that I'm too lazy to find) that the use of this item will reduce your baby's crying, increase their peaceful sleep, enhance brain function, give them more security which supposedly will equate to a better self esteem when they are older, will give you more freedom, and will make you look cute too. And if you don't agree with me... well, I just don't care because it's working for me. Oh, and did I forget to mention one of my favorite reasons to love it? IT'S SUPER CHEAP! So cheap you should own at least two, or maybe ten.

Ready? Drum roll please.

Dum dum dum dum dddddddum...

da da da da da DUM...

Dum dum dum da da da da dummmmmmm...


Aren't they beautiful? What, you don't get it? These are baby wrap carriers, popularly (though expensively) known as Moby Wraps. My amazingly skillful SIL, Michelle, presented me with the cream one while I was in Idaho. She was awesome enough to hem the edge all the way around and sew a cute little drawstring bag to store it in. Let's just say that it was rarely in the storage case. It was love at first use and I rarely took it off.
See, I am one of those moms who can't stand listening to her baby cry. I've been known to make (not bake) cookies one handed while holding a baby to keep it from crying. This lasts until the baby is around 9 months and I can feel confident that the baby will live. I know, I'm a loony. But now I'm a happy loony because I can "hold" my baby all the time in total comfort and still bend over and use both hands. In fact, Cheeks is snuggled against me right now, peacefully sleeping as I type this. Well, I used the wrap so much I knew I needed another one for back up (in other words, it started to stink). But my SIL was gone and I'm much too lazy to sew anything these days. What to do?
NO WORRIES. This requires absolutely no sewing skills what-so-ever. All I did to make my brown one was go to Wal-Mart and buy 5 yards of $1/yard cotton knit fabric (the kind of fabric a T-shirt would be made of), cut it lengthwise in thirds (5 yards by 20 inches- you want it 20-30 inches wide), and you are good to go. The fabric doesn't fray and curls up to look like it is hemmed anyway. I gave the extra two brown strips to a good friend to try and convert her. I hope they are making her happy. =)
Click here for some great videos that show how to wear/use the baby wrap carrier.

I love this thing so much that I even made a video of myself using it. And that is true love.

The funny thing is that wraps like these have been used in 3rd world countries for eons now. Why is it such a new thing here in America? Because we are all about our gadgets. If it doesn't have buckles, clasps, grips, a gazillion warning labels on it, and cost too much it just can't be American, right? Forget it!

So, go get yourself 5 yards of some super cheap cotton knit (look in the Wal-Mart clearance fabric bin), cut it, put it on, wear your baby everywhere, and let me know what you think.

26 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

I loved my sling but looking at that I think it would be a lot more useful and more comfortable. Next time I get knocked up I am so going to make one of those.

Dreamer said...

Ok, i've been lurking for a while but now I must come out of the closet. I love your blog. You are such a cute mom. Anyway, I hear you about the baby wraps. A freind of mine got me into it while I was still prego. Cut myself some fabric and I was ready to go. I loved it! I am all about cheap and functional! Cute too!

Montserrat said...

Amen! I've used baby wraps with my last two babies and LOVE them (the babies and the wraps).

Anonymous said...

I love my wrap! I need to get it back out, I've been using a mei tai.Doodle stands up in it, though. She is going to walk early, I just know it!

I learned about babywearing when #2 was a toddler, so this is my first chance to do this with a baby.

I'm glad you found something you like!

BTW--You look great!

Erika said...

Ha ha ha. I've got a moby! Mine is blue. I LOVE IT MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD (that is an object).
I'm glad you discovered it.
Enjoy. Greatest invention ever. I agree.

Sea Star said...

I have used a sling with each of my children and loved them. Your baby wrap looks very simple and easy to make. If I have any more kids I will have to remember to get some jersey fabric and make one.

Sea Star said...

Oh.. and you are so cute in your video!

Michal said...

my sil erika loves hers (as she commented.) i wish i'd had one when i had my second-born, who was uber-colicky and nearly drove me to drink. my last two babies have been so perfect that i rarely would have needed it, but i am definitely going to get one next time around, especially now that i know the secret (cheap) way to make my own.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I have been using a sling this time around, but this looks incredible. I just wish I knew the first thing about sewing ... I might just have to come over and crash your house and have you show me how to make one :) !! Of course, when you have time and are all unpacked ... should I bring ice cream?

Scribbit said...

You know it's almost tempting enough to make me want to produce another child. Almost :)

Packer Family said...

My SIL made me and my sister who had twins each one of these and I too think they rock! My sister could carry both of her babies in hers at one time!

Amber M. said...

Great. Josh (who is 16 months) just saw your video and HE wants one now. Heck, if he had his way, he'd just crawl back into the womb.

So glad you're back. I missed you.

CC said...

I'm disappointed. I really thought you were going to say the baby neck ring that I blogged about a few weeks ago. ;)

Leslie said...

If you're loony because you don't like to hear your baby cry then I'm loony too. I used to vacuum with my baby in the Baby Bjorn just to keep him happy. If I have more kids...I'll definitely have to give it a shot. But tell me...is it hard on your back?

Ice Cream said...

Leslie,
I should have mentioned that. It is HEAVEN on my back compared to all other baby carriers I've tried.

Richelle said...

That looks great! My friend makes ring slings, and I'm pretty sure she will make me one--she carried her 2 year old in that until her second child was born. This looks so easy to make, though, I will have to try it! Thanks!

Amy Y said...

You're so cute! I wish I had one when my babies were babies!

3 for school said...

I loved my sling too but this sounds even better. I think I have my next baby present! Thank you!

An Ordinary Mom said...

OK, I just reread the instructions ... silly me. Somehow I missed the NO SEWING part, maybe it has something to do with sleep deprivation :) !! I will have to give this a whirl. Thanks for the info!

Lara said...

I love you so much more now after watching that video! You are an actual real person!!!

I have a friend who showed me how to use a wrap. I used it when we went hiking a while back and it was heavenly. She slept the whole time and it didn't hurt my back at all. My shoulders got tired but I wore her for several hours and it was my first time using it.

I'll say though that she didn't like being in it when she was awake. Probably just because she wasn't used to it and unfortunately I haven't used it since! She never cries and if she does get fussy she just goes to bed. I could have really used one with my second baby though. That girl was a crier!

Misty said...

You are SO WAY cute.

Scrappy said...

Ok, that is the coolest thing. I had no idea you could make your own so easily and inexpensively. I almost want to have another baby now...not really. :)
I will have to make some for my friend that is having a baby in the spring. Thanks so much for sharing!

cindy kay said...

I just realized I forgot to leave a comment on this. I know I'm way behind, but I had to say I am FASCINATED by this baby wrap/carrier. I may have to go around again with another baby, just to try it! And my daughter is definitely taking notes; she just got married this week...

~ej said...

awesome!! i had a sling with mine and it was amazing, esp for the screaming babies...but this looks so much nicer and dare i say, lighter weight so maybe cooler??
wtg mom!! cute video too :)

Donya said...

Welcome to the world of comfortable baby carriers! The Moby is good up to 15-16 lbs then you will probably want something a little more supportive. Look into woven wraps, a mei tai or a soft structured carrier. There are so many out there! I know, I have like 12 different ones!

32 Flavors said...

I gotta get me one of those. That is awesome. Oh and a baby too I guess. Can I borrow yours?