Saturday, September 6, 2008

Custom Kid's Cake

Over at one of my favorite craft blogs, The Crafty Crow, I've seen lots of crafts where you use your child's artwork to make something fun. I love that idea and decided to try it on cake. Monster Man drew me a picture of what he wanted his cake to look like (pardon the dirt, he carried this precious drawing around with him all day), and then I did my best to copy it on his cake.


The sky, grass, and clouds are colored cool whip. The sun and number 6 are frosting, and the castle and guards are made out of rolled and cut Starburst Candies (I'm too lazy to make fondant).

The best part of this was Monster Man feeling so very important in the creation and end result. And what kind of cake did he ask for? Cheesecake. Isn't he just absolutely perfect??? Now I'm off to sneak myself some leftover cake for breakfast. Shhhhhhh.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great cake! looks like he really enjoyed it.

Amanda said...

This is absolutely adorable!!! I love this, and thanks so much for the ideas!

Rachel said...

That looks amazing!

I know better than to attempt that... a 6 year old's drawing would translate into something a 2 year old might draw :)

Awesome Mom said...

That is an awesome cake!!

Richelle said...

That is such a cute idea. And cheesecake, YUM!

Scrappy said...

What a great idea! It turned out great.
I love birthday cake for breakfast!

Michal said...

how fun. i'm sure he was so proud of it. and you've gotta love a six year old who prefers cheesecake. yum.

Jana said...

Holy Moly that is an impressive cake. Didn't you just have a baby too? I think I'm going to hide in my closet now.

www.themeanestmom.blogspot.com

Jeanette said...

I love that you had him design his own cake! And you did such a good job creating it. Kudos to you!

Leslie said...

That is the best idea ever!!! Inspirational - have child design cake! I can't wait for the next birthday to roll around!

An Ordinary Mom said...

What a brilliant idea! Keri would absolutely adore this!

CC said...

I love him!!

My husband always asks for a birthday cheesecake too!

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

That cake is amazing! My boy is turning 7 on Monday. Any ideas for a fish cake?

~ej said...

totally cool cake!!! you are a hero :)