Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Bark Is Worse Than My Bite

An Ordinary Mom wanted me to post about my peppermint bark. I feel a little silly because I consider almond bark to be a cheater candy. All you do is melt the stuff, stir something in, and then spread it around on wax paper. But even with all that cheating I can still manage to mess it up. I made some this morning so I could photograph it for this post. I'm tired, lazy, and it ended up looking like peppermint poo. Ah well. If you make it when you are tired and don't give a hoot it might look like this, but if you take just a little time and care, artfully drizzling it with dark chocolate, it will look beautiful.

Only 3 ingredients. You can use any brand of white chocolate/vanilla bark.
Smash up some candy canes. A Hammer really is the best for this. I tried using the bottom of a heavy glass and it took FOREVER! The hammer finished the job in less than a minute (and it makes you look cool to your kids).

When peeling candy canes I can't stand peeling the hook part, so I don't. I just leave them on the counter and they magically disappear so I'm not wasting anything with my laziness.


I used too many candy canes so this didn't spread as thin as I like it to. But it will taste great.

I didn't drizzle the chocolate so it just looks like you-know-what. Still tastes great.


Stick in freezer and break into pieces when fully set. Seriously, people, it took me ten times longer to blog about this than it did to make it. And you could really stir anything into this "chocolate" bark. Check out all these variations: Almond Bark Recipes
.
Don't forget to make chocolate covered pretzels! You can also dip plastic spoons into the bark then dip them into the crushed candy canes and you have yummy hot chocolate stir spoons.
.
Enjoy! I'm off to sit on a heater vent to get warm.

11 comments:

CC said...

YUMMMO!

Hope said...

I love peppermint bark! Thank you for sharing the recipe. My friend from H.S. is coming over for some serious Christmas baking, and pretzel dipping. We dip stuff until 2:00-3:00am, get a sugar high, get to laughing about nothing, and then call me sister in New York. Good Times!

Scrappy said...

Funny, I am making some today. Yum!

Skubaliscious said...

I was begging my husband to hammer my candy canes for me...he pulled out the blender and had them peeled and crushed in less than 10 minutes. The blender didn't seem any worse for the experience....

Richelle said...

Yum! I love chocolate covered pretzels, too.

An Ordinary Mom said...

This sounds so yummy right now ...

I am assuming you mixed the peppermint and the bark to make a mixture?!? Did you heat it on the stove or in the microwave? Sorry, I am too detailed oriented :) !!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Yum yum yum!

Thanks for sharing the recipe, and the pictures!

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy! (Or sounds yummy if it looks like you-know-what.) I think I could actually make it too, I'm not usually a make candy person. Eat it yes, make it no.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe.

And you should stop by my blog, we had a major change last Sunday.

sariqd said...

I did the dipped spoons in chocolate, covered with peppermint. Then wrapped them in cellophane like a bouquet. FABULOUS present to give out. People are always so impressed.

Hubby just saw the pic on your blog and said, "OOh! Is that the peppermint bark she makes?" See - famous in my house! lol!

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMM....I'm making some today....looks easy enough that I can't mess it up! :) Happy SNOW day!

Lifeofkaylen said...

Wow-that was WAY too easy!!!