Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Pineapple Juice

Do you ever have those moments where you think, "Good heavens, I. Am. A. Genius!" Really you know that you are probably just the last person on earth to figure it out but you don't care because it is so brilliant that you can't stop practicing your interview with Oprah ('Cause you know she is going to be calling you about this one).

Well I've just had a brilliant moment in my kitchen tonight. I was draining some pineapple tidbits for pizza and went to grab my usual glass with ice. You know, to receive the honey sweet nectar pineapple juice for drinking. But then I started to think, "I really don't need the extra calories, and surely my children could never fully appreciate it's goodness (I'm so selfish), but I can't just waste it..." And then, like a bright light from above with angels singing, it came to me. I can freeze the juice in an ice cube tray and save them for later. Cha-ching! Now I have yummy pineapple ice cubes to plop in my morning orange juice, to sweeten my teryaki sauces, and to stir into jello to help it cool down. Think of all the wonderful pineapply possibilities!

What else could I do with my wonderful invention?

16 comments:

Rachel said...

great idea! Good luck with Oprah :)

Michal said...

toss it into a marinade, especially a mexican one. pineapple is a natural tenderizer. i love to use pineapple juice, half a lime, some cumin and cilantro on chicken. let it sit in a ziploc in your fridge for a few hours or overnight and then grill it, baby. yum.

Kelli said...

We like to drain fruit and use it for homemade popsicles. The kids and I both love them!

Amber M. said...

Brilliant...but a day late. I saved all my juice from our pineapple...and then my husband drank it this morning because he CAN afford the calories. Sigh.

But now I know for next time...

Stephanie said...

you might want to go get your hair and make-up done before you go on TV. :)

sariqd said...

Another thing? It also helps with digestion. You know, like after a big/heavy meal? The enzymes (which also act as a tenderizer) helps break down your food faster. We keep the small cans of PJ in the fridge. Well, we used to. We don't eat big/heavy meals anymore.....

Rebecca Blevins said...

How about in smoothies? Throw in some strawberries, plain yogurt and Stevia (natural sweetner). Yummy!

Anonymous said...

(Yes, I am the devil for saying this) I've been freezing my pineapple juice for ages; the juice from one can is enough for one batch of sweet n' sour sauce, so I always drain and freeze it for future egg roll nights! :)

Yarntangler said...

I have a small container from my Crystal light packages that I pour the juice from all the canned fruits in . Just layer them and freeze until smooth, then add a banana and a couple of strawberries and it's a smoothie to die for!

HorribleLicensePlates said...

Brilliant idea!

Sonja said...

Stroke of genius, I say. I'm loving all these ideas, and hope you'll forgive me as I have none to share.

I would just eat the ice cubes, plain. :)

Laurel said...

I was totally going to start myself a blog about how fabulous my freezer can be...maybe I should pass this one to you!

I would have drank it when the kids turned the other way.

CC said...

What's that I hear? The Nobel prize headed your way? ;)

I've started freezing extra liquids in ice cube trays as well. I took advantage of some frozen coconut cubes today for my curry dinner. :)

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Okay, so it's not going to save calories, but...add it to a yellow or white cake mix instead of water. I substitute juice for water quite often...it gives a box mix a wake-up call :)

Jeanette said...

Great idea! I always make pineapple orange juice with mine but maybe now I will freeze some of it for later use.
Has Oprah called yet? The world needs to know about this!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Great idea! I love pineapple juice.