Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Tongue of Angels: Conference talk by Jeffery R. Holland

I love what Elder Orson F. Whitney once said: "The spirit of the gospel is optimistic; it trusts in God and looks on the bright side of things. The opposite or pessimistic spirit drags men down and away from God, looks on the dark side, murmurs, complains, and is slow to yield obedience." We should honor the Savior's declaration to "be of good cheer." (Indeed, it seems to me we may be more guilty of breaking that commandment than almost any other!) Speak hopefully. Speak encouragingly, including about yourself. Try not to complain and moan incessantly. As someone once said, "Even in the golden age of civilization someone undoubtedly grumbled that everything looked too yellow."


I LOVE LOVE LOVE this quote (and the rest of the talk too). This was the talk that I needed so badly when conference came. I have been a big baby this winter, I have been lazy, I have been mean to myself about my weight and my eating habits. I haven't found joy in the blessings of motherhood, or even tried to for that matter. I am rereading this quote to help me remember that I should feel joy as I clean my home tomorrow, because I have a home to clean.

I hope you are all enjoying your Sabbath day today. Have a great coming week!
Liz

2 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

I have never heard this quote before, but now I will cut and paste it into my computer. Thanks for sharing it. Elder Holland's talk was one of my favorites. I love how he said the commandment we probably tend the break the most is "Be of good cheer." I have been working on this myself.

Welcome to the blogging world ... again! Hopefully we can now stay a little bit more caught up with each other.

Anonymous said...

The words, "be of good cheer" were the words that came to my mind in a moment of prayerful despair in a recent crisis in my life. I have leaned on those words for years now to get me through the bad times. It reminds me to relax and remember that this is God's plan for me, and because of that, if I'm obedient, then things will turn out right.